This incredibly rich baked mac and (blue) cheese might be the one dish that even the most staunch blue cheese hater will embrace with open arms.
• Prep and cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 10
• 2 cups whole milk
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 3 tbsps all-purpose flour
• 4 tsps kosher salt, divided
• 1 pound large elbow pasta
• 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
• 1/2 tsp lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parley
• 1/2 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
• 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 2 cups), divided
• 8 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups), divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare pasta according to package directions, adding 1 tablespoon of the salt to the boiling water. Drain, return to pot, and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium. Whisk in flour, and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Gradually pour in milk, whisking constantly until thoroughly combined. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 6 ounces each of the blue cheese and the Cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt, stirring until cheese is melted. Pour cheese sauce over pasta; stir to coat. Transfer mac-and-cheese to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top evenly with remaining cheeses.
- Place remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small microwavable bowl; microwave until butter is melted, about 30 seconds. Stir in panko, lemon zest, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb topping over cheeses; bake in preheated oven until golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
This great family recipe is thanks to My Recipes at https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blue-cheese-mac-and-cheese