Cheese Tortellini with Butter, Mushrooms, and Crispy Sage
This easy sage butter pasta recipe transforms grocery store tortellini! Butter, mushrooms, crispy sage, and fresh parmesan take cheese tortellini from boring to gourmet.
The butter sage sauce is totally delicious, and it's ready in about 10 minutes. Crispy sage is quite trendy, but it's trendy because it tastes good. It only takes about a minute to make the sage crispy, and it really makes all the difference in the tortellini butter sauce.
I add something other than sage and butter to this recipe, so I thought mushrooms would be the perfect choice. All you do is quickly sear them so they're lightly browned, and they complement the tortellini fabulously.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 clove garlic minced
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
• 7 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
• 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
• 1 (approx. 20 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- Boil water for the tortellini and cook it according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, prep the mushrooms and the sage.
- When the tortellini is about 6-7 minutes from being ready (so a bit before you add it to the boiling water), add 1 tbsp of the butter and the olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the sage. Cook it for about a minute until it crisps up. Take it out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, and another tablespoon of the butter to the pan. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Add the drained tortellini, remaining butter, parmesan cheese, and sage to the pan. Toss until everything's nicely coated. Season with salt & pepper as needed. Serve immediately.
NOTES: This recipe makes 3-4 servings. It is pretty rich, so I'd serve 4 but ensure there's other stuff to eat with it like a salad, or you could make 2 large portions.
This great family recipe is thanks to Salt & Lavender at https://www.saltandlavender.com/cheese-tortellini-with-butter-mushrooms-and-crispy-sage/