Just carrots, celery, onions and garlic flavor this soothingly simple, risotto-like creamy chicken orzo recipe. Grab some crusty bread and call dinner DONE!
If you have already-cooked chicken handy—either from a store-bought rotisserie chicken or maybe some poached chicken you cooked as part of your weekend meal prep—this one-pot creamy chicken orzo comes together insanely fast. Like, 20 minutes fast. Even if you need to cook some chicken—we recommend a quick poach—our risotto-y chicken and orzo is still relatively quick to make. And it’s oh-so-comforting. Basic veggies, a little garlic and a hint of creaminess make this one-bowl supper comforting and familiar, in the very best way.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 1 lb orzo (1 box)
• 8 cups chicken stock
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 onion chopped about 1 cup
• 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, minced
• 2 ribs celery, chopped about 1 cup
• 2 - 3 cups chicken, cooked, shredded
• 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced about 1 cup
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked, shredded chicken breast along with the orzo.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the parsley, salt and pepper.
- Maintain a simmer for 20 minutes, until the orzo is cooked through, the veggies are tender, and most of the liquid has been absorbed by the orzo.
This great family recipe is thanks to The Modern Proper at https://themodernproper.com/creamy-chicken-orzo