Try this gourmet recipe - we guarantee your guests will be impressed.
• Prep time: 30 minutes
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 300g whitebait
• 300g (2 cups) plain flour
• Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
• 1kg cleaned squid hoods, cut into 1cm thick rings
For the Quince Aioli:
• 2 egg yolks
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• 500ml (2 cups) olive oil
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 1/2 tbsps bought quince paste
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make quince aioli, place garlic, egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard in the bowl of a food processor and process until pale and creamy. With the motor running, gradually add oil in a thin steady stream. Add quince paste and process until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add enough oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 6cm. Heat to 180°C over medium heat (when oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 15 seconds). Place flour in a bowl. Add one-third of the whitebait and calamari, and toss to evenly coat. Shake off any excess flour. Deep-fry for 30 seconds or until golden brown and tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining flour, whitebait and calamari, reheating oil between batches.
- Place on a serving platter and serve immediately with aioli.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste Recipes at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/crisp-whitebait-calamari-quince-aioli/15ee7e0c-08e1-4d1d-8b8c-c7d307005090