This family favourite is a simple yet filling mid-week meal.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 12 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup plain flour
• hot chips, to serve
• 2 tbsps cold water
• lemon wedges, to serve
• canola oil, for deep-frying
• 4 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
• masterfoods tartare sauce, to serve
• 750g small cleaned calamari hoods
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut calamari into 1cm-thick rings. Place flour, and salt and pepper, into a bowl. Beat eggs and water in another bowl. Place breadcrumbs into a third bowl.
- Coat calamari rings in flour, a few at a time. Dip into egg mixture then coat in breadcrumbs. Press breadcrumbs on with fingertips. Place onto a lined baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Pour oil into a deep, heavy-based saucepan or wok until it is one-third full. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook calamari rings, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light golden.
- Remove calamari to a wire rack over a lined baking tray. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining calamari. Serve with chips, lemon wedges and tartare sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste Recipes at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/crumbed-calamari/e53027a8-5d0e-4d0d-aafe-470b5ffa489f