Think chicken breasts are a bit boring? Try this garlic chicken that has the crunch and flavour of chicken Kiev, but with a fraction of the prep.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 1 lemon, zested
• 5 tbsp mayonnaise
• 50g panko breadcrumbs
• large garlic clove, crushed
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 4 tbsps (about 40g) grated parmesan
• lemon wedges, snipped chives and roasted potatoes and tomatoes to serve (optional)
• 2 tsps finely chopped fresh herbs (such as thyme, sage or rosemary) or ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
- Make a production line of a board, two wide, shallow bowls or dishes, and a baking tray that will comfortably fit the chicken, lined with baking parchment or oiled foil.
- If intending to bake immediately, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. (Otherwise, remember to turn the oven on 10 mins before baking.)
- In the first dish, mix the parmesan, mayo, garlic, lemon zest, herbs and seasoning to form a paste – a tablespoon does this well, and helps at the next stage. Tip the crumbs into the second dish and shake so they cover the base.
- Now the messy part. Put the chicken on the board and, if necessary, trim and discard any flappy bits. Blot well with kitchen paper – this will help the coating stick.
- Slide the first breast into the mayo mix and use the spoon to make sure it is coated all over. Pick it up by the pointy end and place on the crumbs. Use a spoon to cover completely with crumbs, and press them on gently until covered all over. Pick up once again by the ‘tail’ and place on the prepared baking tray. Repeat with the second breast, then discard any leftover mayo and crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a board and slice into three or four thick slices, scatter over the chives and serve with the lemon wedges, roasted potatoes and tomatoes, if you like.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Goodfood Recipes at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/crunchy-garlic-chicken