Easy Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 tbsps butter
• 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
• 1 small yellow onion
• 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
• 2 celery ribs, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 12 oz. andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2" pieces
• 1 tbsp. cajun seasoning (without salt)
• kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 (15-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
• 4 c. chicken broth
• 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 3 green onions, sliced
• cooked white rice, for serving
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, then add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until dark caramel colored, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions, peppers, and celery, and stir until softened, about 5 minutes more. Stir in garlic and sausage, then season with Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir in bay leaf, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add shrimp. Once shrimp is pink and cooked through, taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in green onions, reserving some for garnish.
- Serve spooned on top of white rice.
This great family recipe is thanks to delish Recipes at https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a54681/easy-seafood-gumbo-recipe/