Take your festive toastie up a notch with chunky chopped lobster in a silky, oozy four-cheese sauce.
• Prep and cook time: 45 minutes + Pickling
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 lobster tails
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 50g salted butter
• 300ml whole milk
• 6 tbsp mayonnaise
• 50g gruyère, grated
• 8 bloomer thick slices
• 50g parmesan, grated
• 50g grated mozzarella
• 1 good nutmeg grating
• 50g mature cheddar, grated
For pickled cucumber:
• 50ml caster sugar
• a small bunch dill, picked
• 100ml white wine vinegar
• 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- To make the pickled cucumber, put the vinegar and sugar into a small pan with 50ml of water and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely. Once cool, add the cucumber and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Cook the lobster tails following pack instructions and cut into chunky pieces.
- Melt the butter in a pan and, once foaming, add the flour and cook for a few minutes until smelling a little nutty. Gradually add the milk, a little at a time, until a smooth sauce forms. Bubble for 5 minutes until thickened, stirring regularly. Add all four cheeses, a good grating of nutmeg and plenty of seasoning, and stir over a very low heat until fully melted. Gently fold in the lobster meat, and cook for a few minutes to reheat. Cool slightly.
- Put the bloomer slices onto a chopping board and spread each with mayonnaise on one side. Turn 4 of the slices over and divide the lobster and cheesy sauce between them. Put on the lids, with the mayonnaise facing outwards.
- Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side, in batches if necessary, until deep golden brown. Transfer to a baking tray and put into the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the filling is piping hot.
- Drain the cucumber and stir in the dill.
- To serve, cut the sandwiches in half and serve with a pile of the cucumbers.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive Magazine at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/cheese-lobster-toastie/