Vol-au-vents are back! Prep ahead the pastry shells for an easy starter, then load up with the luxurious, yet seriously speedy, champagne-spiked prawns just before serving.
• Prep and cook time: 50 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 150ml double cream
• plain flour for dusting
• 500g puff pastry block
• 300g cooked king prawns
• 2 lemons, zested and juice of 1/2
• dill a small bunch, roughly chopped
• 150ml champagne or any other sparkling wine
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured worksurface until about 40cm x 40cm and 5mm thick. Use a round 12cm cutter to cut 8 circles from the pastry. Put 4 of the circles onto a baking paper-lined tray, then use a round 8cm cutter to make rings from the remaining 4 circles.
- Brush the 4 circles on the baking paper with beaten egg, then neatly lay over the rings onto each. Prick the middles with a fork. Put the inner circles onto the baking tray too and brush everything with more beaten egg. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Give all the pastry another good brush with egg, then put into the oven for 20 minutes until risen and golden. Cool.
- To make the creamy prawn sauce, tip the champagne into a small pan and reduce by 1/2. Add in the cream, season lightly with salt and lots of black pepper, and reduce until a thick coating consistency. Add in the king prawns, lemon zest and juice, and season. Stir in the dill.
- Spoon the mixture into the vol-au-vents, put on the lids and serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive Magazine at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/family/giant-champagne-and-lemon-prawn-vol-au-vents/