Miso-caramelised prawns and crispy roasted kale put a delicious Asian twist on easy homemade gnocchi.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 egg
• 2 tbsps mirin
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tbsps rice vinegar
• 2 tbsps sesame seeds
• 2 tbsps white miso paste
• 1kg desiree potatoes, skin on
• micro cress to serve (Optional)
• 100g unsalted butter, chopped
• 1/2 bunch purple kale, stalks removed
• juice of 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
• 1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour, plus extra to dust
• 1kg green prawns, peeled (heads and tails intact), deveined
- Preheat oven to 150C. Place potatoes in a large saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat, then simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, then, when just cool enough to handle, peel. While still warm, mash, then pass through a potato ricer or fine sieve into a large bowl. Cool.
- Place miso, vinegar and mirin in a small pan over low heat, stirring for 1 minute or until combined. Add 80g butter, 2 pieces at a time, stirring until smooth. Stir in lime juice to taste. Keep warm.
- Toss kale with oil and seeds. Divide between 2 baking trays. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp. Using a fork, stir egg into cooled potato, then sift over flour. Using damp hands, combine to form a sticky dough. Divide into 6 portions and roll each on a lightly floured surface to a 30cm-long log. Flatten slightly, then cut into 6 pieces and cook in a large pan of boiling water for 2 minutes or until they rise to the surface. Drain. Melt remaining 20g butter in a large frypan over medium-high heat. In batches, cook gnocchi for 1 minute each side or until golden. Divide among 4 plates.
- Return pan to heat and cook prawns for 1 minute each side or until just cooked. Pour miso butter over prawns and cook for 1 minute or until caramelised. Top gnocchi with prawn mixture and kale, scatter with cress, if using, and serve with lime.
This great family recipe is thanks to delicious at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/gnocchi-miso-butter-prawns/b1c5e33d-9c7b-4ede-a8eb-f5c68f8857e9?current_section=recipes&r=recipes/group/sx8icie0