Greek Style Roast Leg of Lamb with Lemon Roasted Potatoes
A Greek style lemon and herb marinated roast leg of lamb with lemon roast potatoes that is perfect for a special Sunday dinner.
Roast diners are always good, I sometimes enjoy using the leftovers even more so I often get larger cuts of meat than needed planning to get lots of leftovers! I kicked off using the lamb leftovers this morning by making some roast lamb gyros, with tomatoes, onion, tzatziki and feta for breakfast and I served them with some of the leftover roast potato wedges and a salad.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 3 hours
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 lemons
• 1 tsp paprika
• 2 tsps pepper
• 1 tbsp sea salt
• 2 tsps oregano
• 1/2 tsp oregano
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1 tbsp dijon mustard
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tbsps thyme, chopped
• 2 tbsps rosemary, chopped
• 1 (4 pound) leg of lamb with bone in
• 8 cloves garlic, half slivered and half chopped
• 2 pounds potatoes, optionally peeled and cut into wedges
- Pierce the leg of lamb with a knife and insert the slivers of garlic all around the surface.
- Mix the remaining garlic, oregano, rosemary, thyme, the juice and zest of 1 lemon, the oil, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper, rub the mixture over the lamb and let it marinade in the fridge for 1 hour to over night.
- Place the lamb on a rack in your roasting pan, top it with some of the marinade and place enough water in the pan to cover the bottom without touching the lamb.
- Cover in foil and roast in a preheated 450F/230C oven on the middle rack until tender enough to easily pull from the bone, about 2-4 hours, adding more water if needed.
- Reduce the heat to 350F/180C and roast until browned, remove from the oven cover in foil and let rest.
- Remove the drippings from the pan reserving them.
- Skim off a few tablespoons of the fat from the drippings and toss the potato wedges in them along with the juice of one lemon, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the remaining lemons into wedges, add them to the pan along with the potato wedges and roast at 450F/230C until the potatoes are tender on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside, about 30-45 minutes.
This great family recipe is thanks to Closet Cooking Recipes at https://www.closetcooking.com/greek-style-roast-leg-of-lamb-with/?utm_campaign=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly