This Grilled Steak Recipe is the steak dinner you've been looking for which is made with whiskey and soy sauce. One of my family's favorite "steakhouse dinner" made at home!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• fresh ground pepper
• 1 tbsp dijon mustard
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/4 cup light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey
• 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
• 4 (8 ounces each) striploin steaks
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 4 zucchini, cut into rings
• 4 whole sweet onions, cut into rings
• salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place the steaks in a pan that is large enough to hold all 4. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the whiskey, soy sauce, olive oil, mustard, brown sugar, garlic, and fresh ground pepper; whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the marinade over the steaks, turning the steaks once or twice to coat evenly with the marinade.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinade over night, or at least for 4 hours, in the refrigerator, turning it once while in the fridge.
- Remove steaks from fridge 30 minutes before you are ready to grill.
- Set up the charcoal grill for direct grilling.
- Fire up the grill and preheat to high. For steaks, you want the heat as high as possible.
- Right before you are ready to cook, pour cooking oil on a paper towel and oil the grate using long-handled tongs.
- Drain the marinade off the steak and discard the marinade.
- Place the steak on the hot grate and grill until cooked to taste, 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- After the steak is properly seared, if it’s not finished cooking, move it to the warm side of the grate (not directly over the coals), close the lid and continue to cook the steak until it’s at desired temperature for doneness.
- To test for doneness, insert an instant-read thermometer in the side of the steak. The internal temperature should be 145°F for medium-rare.
- Transfer the grilled steaks to a cutting board and let the steak rest for about 5 minutes before cutting.
In the meantime, prepare the vegetables:
- Season the onions and zucchini with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Working in batches, grill the vegetables until tender and lightly charred all over, about 6 to 7 minutes for the onions and zucchini.
- Remove from grill and serve with steaks.
This great family recipe is thanks to Diethood at https://diethood.com/jack-daniels-grilled-steak-recipe/