Home cured Huon Ocean Trout, Salsa Verde, Citrus Crème Fraiche
This dish from Ashley Davis at Pure South can be easily prepared the day before with surprisingly minimal effort and stunning results. This 2:1 curing method acts quickly and will be ready to eat in no longer than 24 hours.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 10
• 3g salt
• 20g dill
• 1 tomato
• 15g chives
• 35g capers
• 25g parsley
• Salt to taste
• 15g tarragon
• 250ml olive oil
• 600g table salt
• 20g lemon juice
• 4g crushed garlic
• 300g caster sugar
• 25g spring onions
• 10g Dijon mustard
• 1 lemon (zest only)
• 150g crème fraiche
• For the Salsa Verde
• 1 orange (zest only)
• 2 lemons (zest only)
• For the Citrus Crème Fraiche
• 1/4 ruby grapefruit (zest only)
• 4g green chilli, seeds removed
• 1 side Huon Ocean Trout (skin on, pin bones out)
For the salmon:
- Combine the salt, sugar and lemon zest. Place the trout skin side down in a suitable sized tray that will fit in the fridge.
- Leaving the skin of the fish flat on the tray, completely cover the fillet with the salt mixture.
- Cling film and set aside in your fridge for between 18 and 24 hours, but no longer. The longer it is left the more firm the fish will become, but it will also take on more salt. After 24 hours remove the fillet from the tray and wash under cold running water for 5 minutes to remove all of the salt mixture.
- Pat dry with paper towel or a cloth. Your fish is ready to be thinly sliced away from the skin.
For the salsa verde:
- We have measured all of the ingredients for restaurant consistency and balanced results, however, salsa verde is really quite a simple herb salsa and most of the herbs are interchangeable. Salsa verde brings freshness and acidity to compliment the ocean trout. The recipe equates to roughly half a small bunch of each of the herbs and we use the leaves only.
- Chop all of the herbs finely using a sharp knife. Remove the seeds from the chilli and finely chop. Cut the tomato in quarters, remove the seeds and finely chop also. Crush the garlic to a paste. If using salted capers, rinse them first to remove excess salt. Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. This can also be made in advance to allow all of the flavours to marry and will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- For the citrus Crème Fraiche: Finely grate the zest and combine with the crème fraiche. Season if necessary.
This great family recipe is thanks to Huon Aqua Recipes at https://www.huonaqua.com.au/recipes/home-cured-huon-ocean-trout-salsa-verde-citrus-creme-fraiche/