Using traditional Asian flavours, this caramalised fish sauce creates a slight candied affect on the ocean trout cutlet. Served with steamed rice and green vegetables, this simple but fancy recipe will wow any guests.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 2 tbsps fish sauce
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
• 2 Huon ocean trout cutlets
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar or lemon juice
• 3 tbsps vegetable oil (OR any oil for frying)
• 2 stalks spring onions, finely sliced to serve
• Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- In a large fry pan, add brown sugar and 1 cup of water and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until it starts to boil. Reduce heat, stop stirring and let it simmer for about 2 – 3 minutes, watching carefully until the caramel starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, add the garlic, ginger, fish sauce, chilli, olive oil and vinegar and set aside while you cook the trout.
- In a separate fry pan, heat vegetable oil over high heat and add trout cutlets. Cook first side for 4 minutes or until a golden crust develops. Flip cutlets and repeat. Remove from heat.
- Return caramelised fish sauce to the heat, add ¼ cup of water if it’s too thick, you’re after a honey-like consistency. Add cutlets to the fish sauce and sprinkle with spring onions.
- Serve with steamed rice and green vegetables.
This great family recipe is thanks to Huon Aqua at https://www.huonaqua.com.au/recipes/huon-ocean-trout-cutlets-with-caramelised-fish-sauce/