Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Bacon
How do you make mac 'n' cheese better? Add bacon of course! This oozing cheesy pasta bake is also rich with Red Leicester and finished with a crunchy breadcrumb topping. Double up the recipe for a family meal.
• Prep and cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• olive oil
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tsp plain flour
• 250ml whole milk
• 1 tsp mustard powder
• 100g Red Leicester, grated
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 175g rigatoni or other short pasta
• 4 slices streaky bacon, grilled until crisp
• 1 handful breadcrumbs, fresh and chunky
- Heat the oven to 200c/fan 180c/gas 6. Put the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil, season, and bake for 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the garlic and mustard and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour and whisk on a low heat for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk, then bring to a boil, whisking. Reduce heat and simmer until thick (about 4 minutes). stir in the cheese until melted.
- Boil the pasta until al dente, drain and mix with the cheese sauce and bacon. Spoon into 2 large ramekins. Top each with breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive Magazine at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/one-pots/mac-n-cheese-with-bacon/