This Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass with Lemon Caper Butter is a delicious 20 minutes meal! It seems fancy but couldn't be easier to make. Perfect for date night! Whole30, Paleo, Keto and gluten free.
I made a very similar sea bass for date night a couple of months ago, and I seriously haven’t been able to stop thinking about how delicious it was! The brininess from the capers and richness from the butter are the perfect compliment to this mild, flaky fish. This is a great meal to make for a special occasion or date night in! Sea bass can be on the expensive side, so we only have it every once in a while. I served it over a creamy garlic cauliflower mash and it was just SO GOOD! I can’t wait for you to try it!
• Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1/4 cup capers
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• juice from 1/2 lemon
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup ghee, vegan butter or regular butter
• 2 x 6 oz Chilean Sea Bass fillets, thawed if previously frozen
For the creamy garlic cauliflower mash:
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
• 1 tsp sea salt, more to taste
• 1/4 cup ghee or vegan butter
• 1/4 cup full fat coconut cream
• 32 oz frozen cauliflower or one large head of cauliflower
- Pat your sea bass fillets dry and coat on both sides with 1 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 425. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a cast iron (or other oven-safe skillet) over medium high heat. When the pan is nice and hot, add the fillets skin side down (if they have skin). Let them cook, untouched, for 5 mins. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes. The fish should flake easily with a fork at this point.
- While the fish is cooking, make the cauliflower mash. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the frozen cauliflower. Cook it for 10-15 minutes until you can easily pierce the florets with a fork. Drain the cauliflower really well and return it to the pot. Add in the chickenn broth, coconut milk, garlic powder, and salt. Use an immersion blender (or regular blender or food processor) to blend up the cauliflower until very thick and creamy.
- Melt the ghee (or vegan butter) in the microwave. Stir in the lemon juice and capers. Serve the fish over some cauliflower mash and spoon some of the lemon butter caper sauce over top. Enjoy!
TIPS: You can also serve this fish over risotto, pasta, or mashed potatoes! This sauce is amazing on so many things.
This great family recipe is thanks to Mary's Whole Life at https://www.maryswholelife.com/pan-seared-chilean-sea-bass-with-lemon-caper-butter/