Salmon fillets are seared to golden brown perfection then covered with an easy, homemade sweet and sour sauce. We all love sweet and sour chicken but now is the time to try that flavor combo on salmon. It's so delicious!
This is quick and easy and perfectly delicious! Serve this sweet salmon dish with rice and a side of sauteed peppers, onions and fresh pineapple, and you have got a meal people won't forget.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 tbsps honey
• 2 tsps cornstarch
• 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup
• 2 tsps minced garlic
• white sesame seeds
• 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
• 4 (6 oz) salmon fillets
• 1/3 cup pineapple juice
• 3 1/2 tbsps rice vinegar
• Chopped green onion or cilantro
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (Optional)
• 1 1/2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
• 2 tsps finely peeled and minced ginger
• 3 1/2 tsps olive oil or vegetable oil, divided
- Remove salmon from refrigerator and let rest at room temperature for 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare sweet and sour sauce.
- For the sauce, in a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and soy sauce, add in pineapple juice, honey, brown sugar, rice vinegar, ketchup and red pepper flakes.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp of the oil in small saucepan over medium heat, add ginger and garlic and saute until lightly golden brown, about 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- Whisk pineapple juice mixture once more then pour into saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly, then allow to boil, stirring constantly until thickened, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Dab both sides of salmon dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt (use about a heaping 1/2 tsp total).
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in a (heavy) 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once oil is shimmering add salmon and cook about 4 minutes on the first side until golden brown on bottom then flip and cook salmon on opposite side until salmon has cooked through, about 2 - 3 minutes longer.
- Plate salmon, spoon sweet and sour sauce over salmon, sprinkle with green onions or cilantro, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to Cooking Classy at https://www.cookingclassy.com/pan-seared-salmon-with-sweet-and-sour-sauce/