Get some pork on your fork now or bag a snag and freeze for later!
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp caster sugar
• 2 medium tomatoes
• 2 tbsps tomato paste
• 8 thick pork sausages
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
• 1 small red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
• 1/2 small leek, trimmed, washed, thinly sliced
• 2 sheets frozen ready rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease a large baking tray. Cut pastry into quarters. Place pastry squares on a flat surface. Place 1 sausage on 1 pastry square. Roll up to enclose sausage. Press lightly to secure. Place, seam-side down, on prepared tray. Score pastry on top. Repeat with remaining pastry and sausages. Bake for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden and sausages cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cut a cross in base of each tomato. Place tomatoes in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 2 to 3 minutes or until skin lifts slightly. Drain. Peel and chop tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek has softened. Stir in garlic and chilli. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato, tomato paste and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Process tomato mixture until almost smooth. Stir in basil.
- Cut each roll into 3 pieces. Serve with basil tomato sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste Recipes at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pork-sausage-rolls-basil-tomato-sauce/0686bb5a-be64-49e0-bf1d-0662d8912318