A colourful jumble of tiger prawns, smoked bacon, green peppers and paprika, served with rice. Plus it's under 300 calories per serving and is ready in 35 minutes.
• Prep and cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• groundnut oil
• 2 sprigs thyme
• 2 tsps plain flour
• 400ml chicken stock
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• 400g tin plum tomatoes
• 3 stalks celery, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 onions, finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
• 400g peeled raw tiger prawns
• 1/2 a small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
• 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
• 6 thick-cut smoked streaky bacon rashers, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a splash of oil until crisp, then add the onion, garlic and celery. Cook until soft and starting to colour. Sprinkle over the flour and cook, stirring until the bacon, veg and flour turn golden.
- Tip in the tomatoes, break up with a spoon, and keep stirring until everything is combined. Stir in the stock then add the pepper, thyme, cayenne and paprika. Season well. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened. Add the prawns and cook for 3-4 minutes, until just cooked through. Stir in the parsley and serve with rice.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive Magazine at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/prawn-and-pepper-gumbo/