• Prep and cook time: 1 hour & 50 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 1 pear
• olive oil
• 1 orange
• 1/2 an onion
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1 splash of brandy
• 1 sprig of fresh sage
• 1 large knob of butter
• a few sprigs of fresh thyme
• 1 handful of dried cranberries
• 150g free-range chicken livers
• 1 handful of vac-packed chestnuts
• 1 x 1.6 kg whole free-range chicken
• 6 rashers of higher-welfare unsmoked streaky bason
- Peel, core and chop the pear, peel and finely chop the onion, then peel the garlic. Trim the chicken livers, removing any stringy bits.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat, add a splash of oil and gently fry the pear, onion, garlic, chestnuts and sage leaves for 15 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the butter, move the veg to one side, then add the livers. Season well and cook for a minute or so, then add the brandy and stir.
- Cook on high for no more than 4 minutes, so the livers are still blushing inside; you’ll see them plump up. Overcooked, they’re tough, and we want them silky smooth.
- Tip it all into a food processor and pulse till creamy, but with some texture. Stir in the cranberries, then spread out on a plate and pop in the fridge to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat your oven to full whack.
- Gently push your fingers between the skin and chicken breast meat to create a pocket. Push the stuffing into it, pull back the skin and secure with a couple of cocktail sticks. Drizzle with oil and season well, rubbing it all over the meat.
- Slice the orange into 6 wedges, then fit as many into the chicken’s cavity as you can – leave enough room for air to circulate – then transfer it to a roasting tray.
- Place the bird in the oven, then turn down the heat to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5. Cook for 1 hour 20 minutes in total, or until cooked, basting the chicken and covering the breast with bacon halfway through.
- When done, transfer to a board to rest before carving. Sprinkle with thyme leaves and serve with lovely roast veggies.
This great family recipe is thanks to Jamie OliverRecipes at https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/roast-chicken-for-two/