• Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 1 beaten egg
• 1 tsp mustard
• 2 salmon fillets
• 3 tbsps sunflower oil
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp heaped plain flour
• 250g leftover mashed potato
• 75g homemade breadcrumbs
• 1 lemon with 1 tbsp squeezed and 1 tbsp zest grated
• 2 tbsps of any herbs (parsley, dill and chives work particularly well)
- Mix the potato, mustard, lemon juice and zest, herbs and seasoning.
- On a baking sheet, season the salmon with salt and pepper. Grill for 5-6 minutes until just cooked. Allow to cool, remove skin and break into large flakes.
- Mix the salmon into the potato mixture, taking care not to let the flakes break up too much. Form into four equally-sized round patties.
- Put the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs into three separate plates. Dip the patties into the flour (dusting off any excess), then dip in the egg, and then the breadcrumbs to coat all over.
- Fry the fish cakes in the sunflower oil over a medium heat for approximately 3 minutes on each side until the breadcrumbs are golden and the fish cakes are cooked through.
- Serve the fish cakes with a sprinkling of lemon zest. We suggest cooked green beans and cherry tomatoes as a side.
This great family recipe is thanks to Love-Food-Hate-Waste Recipes at https://scotland.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipe/salmon-fish-cakes