This salt and pepper squid is one of my favourite Chinese Taiwanese snacks and appetizers. On a hot summer’s day I especially enjoy paring this with a nice iced cold beer!
Preparing this dish is very simple. You only need a few ingredients then you can make this dish but please be very careful when you fry the squid as the oil can explode (water on oil effect) and potentially burn you. I personally pad the squid dry after cleaning and washing it because I coat it with corn flour and normal flour.
I personally like to cross-cut the squid because it makes the squid look prettier but if you think cross-cutting is too much hassle then you can either cut it into rings or pieces. Either method is fine.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Marinade time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 3 - 4
For the squid:
• 1 tbsp flour
• oil for frying
• 1 chili pepper, sliced
• basil leaves, for garnish
• 3 ounces (85 gm) corn flour
• 1 medium spring onion, sliced
• 13 1/8 ounces (370 gm) fresh squid tubes or whole squid
For the squid marinade:
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp rice wine
• 1/2 tsp lemon juice
• 1/2 tsp white pepper
For the seasoning:
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
For the simple wasabi mayo dipping sauce:
• 1/2 tsp wasabi
• 2 tbsps mayonnaise
• 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Clean and wash the squid under running cold water. Pad dry with a kitchen towel.
- Cross-cut the squid and cut into 3-4 cm (on each side) squares.
- Mix corn flour, all-purpose flour, and all the seasonings.
- Marinate the squid with all the ingredients for marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat up oil in a wok or a deep saucepan to around 180C.
- Coat the squid with flour and corn flour mixture.
- Gently slide the squid into the hot oil. Please keep your distance and be very careful just in case the hot oil splashes on you.
- Deep fry the squid for 30 seconds. You will see the squid curl up and turn a beautiful golden color.
- Put a couple sheets of kitchen towel on a plate and take the squid out of the hot oil and place onto the kitchen towel to get rid of the oil.
- Mix the squid with spring onions and chilli. Place on a serving plate and garnish with some basil leaves. Ready to serve.
Procedures for wasabi mayo:
- Mix wasabi with lemon juice first until there are no lumps of wasabi left.
- Mix step 1 with mayonnaise until it's perfectly combined together.
This great family recipe is thanks to The Spruce Eats at https://www.thespruceeats.com/salt-and-pepper-squid-4078455