These seared scallops on the half shell make for a show-stopping presentation. If your fishmonger can’t order the shells for you, use small plates.
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• kosher salt
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 6 toasted nori sheets
• lemon wedges (for serving)
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
• 16 large sea scallops, side muscle removed
• 2 tbsps chopped fresh dill, plus small sprigs for serving
- Soak nori in ½ cup warm water in a small bowl until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until butter foams, then browns (do not let it burn), 5–8 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Pulse nori and soaking water in a food processor to a coarse paste. Stir into brown butter along with chopped dill; season with salt and keep nori brown butter warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Season scallops with salt and cook until golden brown on each side and almost cooked through, about 2 minutes per side (they’ll continue to cook from carryover heat).
- Serve scallops with nori brown butter, dill sprigs, and lemons for squeezing over.
This great family recipe is thanks to bon appetit at https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/scallops-with-nori-brown-butter-and-dill