The perfect balance is sweet scallops, crunchy almonds, and zesty vinaigrette.
• Prep and cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2 - 4
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• 2 tbsps peach preserves
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
• kosher salt, fresh ground pepper
• 5 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• fresh herbs, baby arugula or microgreens
• 1/4 cup roasted almonds, preferably Marcona
• 8 large sea scallops (about 9 oz.) side muscle removed
• 1 tbsp (or more) champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Finely chop almonds into small pieces but not into a powder. Mix almonds and 4 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl. Whisk in 1 Tbsp. vinegar and chives; season vinaigrette with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Add to skillet. Cook until deep golden and caramelized, 2–3 minutes. Turn scallops; add butter and thyme. Cook, frequently tilting skillet and spooning butter over, until scallops are deep golden and just cooked through, 2–3 minutes longer. (Basting adds extra flavor.)
- Stir preserves and 1/2 tsp. water in a small bowl to loosen. For an appetizer, smear about 1/2 Tbsp. preserve mixture in center of each plate. For an entrée, smear 1 Tbsp. preserve mixture. Top with 2–4 scallops each. Drizzle some vinaigrette over. Garnish with herbs.
This great family recipe is thanks to bon appetit at https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/seared-scallops-with-almond-vinaigrette