• Prep and cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 5 scallions
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
• 6 tbsps butter, divided
• 1 1/2 tsps kosher salt, divided
• 2 3/4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
• 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
• 16 dry-packed sea scallops (about 1 1/2 lb.)
• 2 tbsps chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
• 2 tsps grated lemon zest, plus 2 seeded lemon slices (from 1 lemon), divided
- Thinly slice white and light green parts of scallions. Thinly slice dark green parts to equal ¼ cup. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan over medium-high. Add white and light green scallions, and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and toasted, 2 minutes. Add wine. Cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and 1 teaspoon of the salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 15 to 17 minutes. Remove from heat; cover until ready to use.
- While rice cooks, cut remaining 4 tablespoons butter into pieces. Place butter and lemon slices in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH until butter is almost melted, 30 to 40 seconds. Stir until melted; remove and discard lemons. Cover lemon butter to keep warm.
- Rinse scallops; pat dry. Remove muscle from side of scallops; discard. Season with pepper and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add 8 scallops; press gently with a spatula. Cook until bottom side is deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. Turn scallops over; cook until slightly opaque in center, 3 to 4 more minutes. (Don’t overcook.) Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Wipe skillet; repeat with remaining oil and scallops.
- Fluff rice with a fork; stir in parsley and zest. Serve scallops with rice; sprinkle with dark green scallion slices and additional parsley. Spoon lemon butter evenly over scallops before serving.
This great family recipe is thanks to Southern Living at https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/pan-seared-scallops