Smoked Pork Sausage with Hard-Cider Sauce
• Prep time: 1 hour & 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• kosher salt
• 1/2 cup hard cider
• 1 tbsp dijon mustard
• 1 dried chipotle chile
• 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
• 2 tbsps light brown sugar
• 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 1/2 tbsps unsalted butter, cubed
• 1 pound broccoli, cut into 1 inch florets
• 4 ounce smoked pork sausages or cheddar wursts
• 2 ounces rye bread, crusts removed and bread torn into bite-size pieces (1 cup)
• 2 granny smith apples, halved and cored, plus 1/2 apple cut into matchsticks, for garnish (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°. In a bowl, cover the chipotle with hot water and let stand until softened, 30 minutes. Bake the halved apples cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet for 30 minutes, until tender. Let cool. Scoop the apple pulp into a food processor and discard the skins. Stem, seed and chop the chipotle; add it to the food processor and puree.
- Meanwhile, spread the bread in a pie plate and bake the pieces for about 10 minutes, until golden.
- In a saucepan, boil the hard cider with the vinegar, sugar and apple puree. Simmer, stirring, until reduced to 3/4 cup, 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt.
- Light a grill. Grill the sausages over moderate heat, turning, until lightly charred on both sides and cooked through, 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- In a skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the broccoli and season with salt. Cover and cook until browned, 2 minutes. Stir in the mustard, caraway, cider sauce and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and season with salt. Serve the sausages with the broccoli and sauce, garnishing with the bread crumbs and apple matchsticks.
This great family recipe is thanks to Food&Wine Recipes at https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/smoked-pork-sausage-hard-cider-sauce