Bold use of herbs and an intense tomato sauce really make the flavours in this sausage bake sing.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 6
• balsamic vinegar
• 2 sprigs fresh bay
• extra virgin olive oil
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1 tbsp dried oregano
• 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
• 3 cloves garlic , peeled and chopped
• 12 higher-welfare Cumberland or coarse Italian pork sausages
• 2 kg lovely ripe cherry tomatoes , mixed colours if you can find them
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
- Get yourself an appropriately sized roasting tray, large enough to take the tomatoes in one snug-fitting layer. Put in all your tomatoes, the herb sprigs, oregano, garlic and sausages. Drizzle well with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss together, then make sure the sausages are on top and pop the tray into the oven for half an hour. After this time, give it a shake and turn the sausages over. Put back into the oven for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how golden and sticky you like your sausages.
- Once it’s cooked, you’ll have an intense, tomatoey sauce. If it’s a little too thin, lift out the sausages and place the tray on the hob to cook it down to the consistency you like – I tend to make mine quick thick – then put the sausages back in.
- Check the seasoning and serve either with a good-quality loaf of bread warmed through in a low oven for 10 minutes (great for mopping up the sauce!) or with mashed potato, rice or polenta, a green salad and a nice glass of wine.
- PS Any leftovers can be chopped up and made into a wonderful chunky pasta dish, using penne or rigatoni, the next day.
This great family recipe is thanks to Jamie Oliver Recipes at https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/sweet-cherry-tomato-and-sausage-bake/