Tamarind Prawn Curry
Prawn curry in under half an hour, even when you make your own spice paste. Add tamarind and coconut milk for flavour and serve with rice and chapatis.
• Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• rice to serve
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• chapatis to serve
• coriander to serve
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 tbsps tamarind paste
• 180g raw peeled prawns
• 1 green chilli, finely sliced
• 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
• 1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
• 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
• thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
• 200ml coconut milk (freeze the rest to use another time)
- Grind the toasted seeds with a pestle and mortar. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and cook the onion with a pinch of salt until soft and golden.
- Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric and spices then fry for 1 minute. Pour in the coconut milk, add the tamarind and chilli and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Tip in the prawns, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they turn pink. Serve with rice and chapatis.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive Magazine at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/tamarind-prawn-curry/