For your next backyard barbecue build layers of flavour with the spicy tomato salsa on your sausages tex-mex subs.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 60g baby rocket
• Corn chips, to serve
• 6 long crusty bread rolls, toasted
• 1 quantity warm Mexican cheese sauce
• 6 thin sausages, can be any kind of sausages you like
For spicy tomato salsa:
• 1 tsp cornflour
• 250g cherry tomatoes
• 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
• fresh coriander leaves, to serve
• jalapeno chillies, sliced to serve
• 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno chillies
• 2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Make Spicy Tomato Salsa. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add tomatoes, capsicum and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes or until capsicum is charred and garlic is tender. Remove from heat. Carefully squeeze garlic from skin. Discard skin. Place tomato mixture and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Return to pan over medium heat.
- Blend cornflour with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Add cornflour mixture, onion, chopped coriander and jalapeño to salsa. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thick and combined. Transfer to a serving bowl. Stand for 30 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a greased barbecue hotplate on medium-high heat. Add sausages. Cook, turning, for 12 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Split rolls along centre and open out (do not cut all the way through). Divide rocket and sausages among rolls. Top with salsa. Drizzle with cheese sauce. Top with extra coriander leaves and jalapeños and serve with corn chips.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/tex-mex-sausage-subs-recipe/1o2xpq7b